One tree spans Tamworth's history.
The Tamworth 250 Anniversary tree "cookie," a hemlock that sprouted before 1600, is on display at the Cook Library. More than 400 annual growth rings record the seasons of Tamworth's history.
1609 – The tree is approximately 20' tall and already 40 - 100+ years old. Hemlocks grow slowly in the shade of other trees, sometimes waiting decades for an opening in the canopy that speeds their growth.
October 14, 1766 – Town of Tamworth charter granted by King George III of England.
1966 - Tamworth Conservation Commission created by Tamworth voters.
1999 – Tree falls down in autumn wind storm.
2016 – Tamworth is 250 years old & TCC is 50 years old. Smaller tree cookies on display with the old hemlock complete the growth-ring history.